For your fee, we look over the documents as soon as we receive them and check them for accuracy. If there are any problems with your documents, we let you know immediately. We take your documents to the State Department as soon as possible after we receive them. (The State Department is only open 8AM - 9AM and the mail comes in too late for us to take them through the same day we get them.) At the State Department, we wait in line to drop off your documents. They give us a receipt telling us when we can pick them back up. This can take up to five days, but usually they process them for us in three. We check to be sure that they authenticate every single document correctly (after all, they're human beings, they make mistakes too) before we leave the State Department.
As soon as that's finished, we take your documents to the Embassy for Authentication. We leave your documents with the Embassy and they give us a receipt telling us what day to pick them up. We double check your documents when we pick them up from the Embassy and then we send the completed documents, along with your receipts, back to you. If you wish your documents to be forwarded to your someone other than yourself, please include a SASE for us to send your receipts back to you.
The State Department will only let a person take through 15 documents per day. If you have more than 15 documents, we have to make two trips. So that'll take an extra day and we will have to divide your documents. Please write one check to the US Dept of State for the first 15 ($120) and another check for whatever is left over those 15. You do not need to write two checks to the Embassy. We will take all your documents to the Embassy together.
Also, if you have any documents that are under another Consulate's jurisdiction, we can take those in also. We have permission to take in any document from any state, as long as we get it authenticated by the US Department of State first. This way, you can keep your entire dossier together. I believe we are the only couriers in America with this privilege.
Please use the service of your choice (i.e. FedEx/ExpressMail/UPS) to mail your documents to:
The Assistant Stork
2144 Aquia Drive
Stafford, VA 22554
Our phone number is: 540-659-6845
Please be sure to sign the "waiver of signature" on your package if you send your documents via ExpressMail. We are in DC processing dossiers when the mail carrier arrives. There is a special place the mail carrier leaves the dossiers that only he or she can see from our door, not visible to the street. This is not necessary with UPS or FedEx, but please do not REQUIRE a signature. Do not bother sending your package any faster than Priority Overnight. We live far enough away from the airport that First Overnight does not get here until long after Steve has left for DC.
When you get your delivery confirmation, it will say the documents are left on my porch. That's because they don't have an option that says, "Left inside the box built into the bench seat, completely protected from sun, wind, rain and snow, on the enclosed porch, that you can't see from the street."
Please email us with your tracking number when you send your documents so we'll know to look for them at email@example.com
1. A personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order made out to "The Assistant Stork" for $75 for the first document, $20 each for additional documents.
2. A personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order made out to "U.S. Department of State" for $8 per document. (Two separate checks if more than 15 documents.) The State Department does not expedite, it will take approximately 4 business days.
3. A money order, business check or cashier's check (they won't accept personal checks) made out to "The Embassy of China" for $50 per document = 6 business day turnaround. Please do not include a $5 handling fee. Since we pick up the completed documents in person, we are not charged that fee. The Embassy no longer expedites.
4. A copy of your passport or driver's license - does not need notary
When you click on this link, it may look like you've been misdirected. Click on the next link - in among all the Chinese writing, and it will give you the form eventually. You may have to click on it two or three times. I have attached a sample below. As of 1/15/16, these MUST be typewritten. Hand-written will not be accepted.
6. Your original State Sealed, JAG notarized or American Consulate notarized documents.
7. A COMPLETE BLACK AND WHITE OR GREYSCALE COPY OF YOUR DOCUMENTS (county seal, if applicable, & state seals also) for the Chinese Embassy. Please do not send color copies. You will NOT be getting the copies back. Please staple each document. (I.e.: State Seal, County seal, document). Please do not send us a bunch of loose copies of your pages and do not staple all your copies into one big bundle. If your agency requires a copy and we are sending the documents straight to your agency, please include a copy for them as well. We will make copies of the Federal Seals for the Embassy, but if we need to make copies of the Federal and Embassy seals for your agency, or if you do not make copies for the Embassy, we charge $1.00 per page.
8. A prepaid, self addressed FedEx/UPS/ExpressMail (whichever you prefer) envelope for us to send you back your documents. If you choose to send FedEx or UPS, please get an account number. They are free and will save you money. Go to fedex.com, ups.com, or usps.com to create your labels. Do not give us a Priority Mail label to send out your completed documents unless you have created the return mailing label on-line at usps.com. We will not send back anything not trackable. This is for your protection as well as ours.
9. A self addressed, stamped envelope for us to send you back your receipts if your documents are being forwarded by us to anyone other than yourself
10. A note with phone numbers where I can reach you if there are any problems.
Please call or email if you have any other questions. Our number is 540-659-6845 and we're available M-F from 9AM-4PM EST. If you choose to phone, please be aware that we are often in an Embassy or the State Department and are not allowed to take calls. Leave a message and we will return your call.