The Assistant Stork
Your Document And Visa Specialists

The Embassy of China will be closed Monday, the 11th and Tuesday, the 12th, for Chinese New Year.

The US Department of State, the Embassies and the Assistant Stork will be closed Monday, February 18, 2013 for President's Day.


As of 9/17/2012

The US Department of State is changing their processing time.  Instead of processing documents while you wait, it will now take 3 - 5 business days.

China Tourist (L) Visas

The Assistant Stork will be closed Monday, April 18, 2016 for a personal day.

Recent Changes

March 28, 2016 - China has added two business days to their processing time 

February 15, 2016 - China has halted all RUSH process until further notice

June 15, 2015 - All children, regardless of age, must include a copy of their birth certificate

April 1, 2015 - The Embassy of China now requires all copies of passports be separate.  You can no longer copy two passports onto one sheet of paper.

January 1, 2015 - The Assistant Stork has raised their prices for only the third time in the history of their business.

November 11, 2014 - Most visas for American citizens will now be valid for 10 years, multiple entry.

July 7, 2014 - All Adoption Visas now need to say "Other: Adoption" instead of "Tourism"

September 1, 2013 - The Embassy of China has a new visa application form. It must be typed on-line.  No hand-written forms will be accepted. No exceptions. The four-page form should be printed front and back on two sheets of paper.

August 1, 2012 - All Tourist Visas must include ONE of the following:
  • A photocopy of the roundtrip airline ticket and hotel reservations. 
  • An Invitation Letter for Tourist Group or Invitation Letter for Tourist by a Duly Authorized    Tourism Unit -or-
  • An Invitation Letter issued by companies, corporations, institutions or individuals in China. If the invitation letter is issued by an individual in China, the photocopy of the ID of the individual is required.

  • Invitation letters should contain:
  1. Information on the applicant (full name, gender, date of birth, etc.)
  2. Information on the planned visit (arrival and departure dates, places to be visited, etc)
  3. Information on the inviting entity or individual (name, contact telephone number, address, official stamp, signature of legal representative or inviting individual)

February 2, 2012 - All passports must have at least 4 blank pages (not including the amendment pages) or the Chinese Embassy will reject the visa application.

January 27, 2012 - Same day processing is no longer available.

January 26, 2012 - All visa applications must go to the Consulate that rules their jurisdiction.  We can no longer process visas for families living outside our jurisdiction. Our jurisdiction is: DE, DC, ID, KY, MD, MT, NE, NC, ND, PR, SC, SD, TN, UT, USVI, VA, WV & WY.

To send us your visa application:

Please use the service of your choice (i.e. FedEx/ExpressMail/UPS) to mail your documents to:

The Assistant Stork
Laura Morrison
2144 Aquia Drive
Stafford, VA  22554
Our phone number is:  540-659-6845

Please be sure to sign the "waiver of signature" on your package if you send your documents via ExpressMail.  We are in DC processing dossiers when the mail carrier arrives.  There is a special place the mail carrier leaves the dossiers that only he or she can see from our door, not visible to the street.  This is not necessary with UPS or FedEx, BUT PLEASE DO NOT REQUIRE A SIGNATURE.  Do not bother sending your package any faster than Priority Overnight.  We live far enough away from the airport that First Overnight is just a waste of your money for our location.

Open your passport and lay it flat to put inside the envelope.  Make sure those passports don't FEEL like passports from the outside.  Please do not use the Post Office's PRIORITY MAIL service.  Their processing time is not guaranteed and if they lose your package, they claim there is no way to trace it.  This has happened numerous times over the years we have been in business, and I don't care what the guy at the Post Office tells you, they will claim they cannot trace it if your passports are lost.  If you must use the post office, please create your label online at It's the best way to track your package if it should become lost. In the history of our business, the post office has lost more packages than FedEx, UPS and DHL combined. Please go the extra mile and create your labels on-line. So far for us, they haven't lost any that the labels were created on-line.

Be sure to use the Application Form that went into effect on September 3, 2013. It is a 4-page application form, but they want it printed out front and back, so there is only 2 pieces of paper, total.  They will no longer accept hand-written applications.  If a line is not applicable to you, please put "N/A" in that space.   If the form is not filled out completely, it will be rejected. I have included step-by-step instructions for filling out your applications at the end of this page. Go to: 

and type out the form on-line. You cannot use a visa application from another Consulate.  You have to use the application found on the Embassy's website.

If you have trouble typing on the form, download the Chinese character package and/or use another Browser: i.e. Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari. If all else fails, try the computer at your local Library.

Please email us your tracking number when you send your documents so we'll know to look for them. Please send us:

1.  A personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order made out to The Assistant Stork for $65 for one visa - or - $50 each for two or more visas.  

2.   A prepaid, self addressed FedEx/UPS/ExpressMail (whichever you prefer) envelope for us to send you back your documents.  If you choose to send FedEx or UPS, please get an account number.  They are free and will save you money.  Go to,, or to create your labels.  Do not give us a Priority Mail label to send out your completed documents unless you have created the return mailing label on-line at  We will not send back anything not trackable.  This is for your protection as well as ours.

3.  A completely filled out visa application (with photo paper-clipped on). Photo should be full face, front view, bareheaded passport-photo-style, 2" x 2".  No artistic/glamor photo, group photo, or photocopy of photo is acceptable.   Background must be a solid, light color and the photo must show your face in good light. Please do not attach the photo.  Please just paperclip it to your application.

4.  Your passport - BE SURE YOUR PASSPORTS ARE SIGNED!!!!  If signing for a child, you write THEIR name and then "(by mother)" or "(by father)" after the child's name.

5.  A photocopy of your Passport Information & Signature pages (for each person)

6.  A photocopy of your "LOA" letter, LOC letter or "Travel Approval". Most folks have their LOA long before the others.  Any of these will work.

7.  A money order, business check or cashier's check (they won't accept personal checks) made out to "The Embassy of China" for $140 per visa =  5 day turnaround for holders of American passports.  For citizens of other countries, see below.  Add a $20 money order per visa if you want expedited overnight service. Please make a separate money order for each visa.

Number of Entries American citizens Citizens of other countries
Single Entry $140 $30
Double Entry $140 $45
Multiple Entries for 6 months $140 $60
Multiple Entries for 12 months $140 $90
Multiple Entries for 24 months $140 N/A

If any child traveling was born in China, we also need their Chinese passport (these will be returned to you), ANOTHER copy of both parent's passports, and a copy of their adoption certificate or birth certificate, if you do not have the Chinese adoption certificate - anything official that shows both their Chinese name and American name. 

If an American born child is traveling, we now need a copy of the child's birth certificate and ANOTHER copy of both parent's passports. 

If a child born in a country other than China or the USA is traveling, we need a copy of something showing that this child is yours.  An adoption certificate is fine. And we need ANOTHER copy of both parent's passports. 

IF YOU ARE A CITIZEN OF ANOTHER COUNTRY: You must provide the original and photocopy of your valid certificates or visa of stay, residence, employment or student status, or other valid certificates of legal stay provided by the relevant authorities of the country where you are currently staying. 

Those who were Chinese citizens and have obtained foreign citizenship: You must provide a photocopy of previous Chinese passports or previous Chinese visas. If you are applying for a Chinese visa for the first time, you should provide your previous Chinese passport and a photocopy of its data page.

If you have obtained Chinese visas before and want to apply for a Chinese visa with a renewed passport that does not contain any Chinese visa, please include a photocopy of the previous passport's data & photo pages and a photocopy of all previous Chinese visas.  (If your name on the current passport differs from that on the previous one, please include a photocopy of an official document of name change.)

Filling out the Application:
1.1) Full English Name as in passport: Write your last name after "Last Name," your middle name after "Middle Name" and your first name after "First Name."
1.2) Name in Chinese: Write "N/A" unless you have a Chinese name. If you have a Chinese name, please write it in Chinese.
1.3) Other names: This would be a maiden name, nickname, other married names, etc.
1.4) Sex: Please choose male or female
1.5) Date of birth: Fill out in format full year - month - day
1.6) Current nationality(ies): Please fill in your current nationality as in your passport, usually this is "USA"
1.7) Former nationality(ies): Please fill in any former nationality you've ever had, if applicable. 
1.8) Place of birth: Please fill in the name of your birth place (City, Province/State and Country). 
1.9) Local ID/Citizenship number: Please fill in your driver's license number 
1.10) Passport/Travel document type: Usually "Ordinary" unless you are traveling under a Diplomatic or military passport
1.11) Passport Number: Please fill in the number of the passport with which you are applying for the visa.
1.12) Date of issue: Please fill in the date of issue of your passport, in the date format yyyy-mm-dd
1.13) Place of issue: Write exactly what it says on your passport.  If it says "National Passport Center" that's what you write.  If it says, "UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF STATE" that's what you write.  You may abbreviate if it doesn't fit, like "US DEPT OF STATE." 
1.14) Date of expiry: 
Please fill in the expiration date of your passport, in the date format yyyy-mm-dd 
1.15) Current occupation:
 If you are a "blue collar worker" you put "BUSINESSPERSON." If you are a "white collar worker" you put "BUSINESSPERSON." Doctor, Programmer, Social Worker, Teacher... you are still a "BUSINESSPERSON." If you are gainfully employed and you are not obtaining a special government or airline visa, you are more than likely a "BUSINESSPERSON" in the eyes of the Chinese Embassy.  If you put something like "Other:Pharmacist" I'm going to have to explain to the Chinese how you can work at a Pharmacy and not consider it a business.   If you are clergy or media, call me.  You have extra things you have to do.
1.16) Education: If you have not attended college, please write after "Other (Please specify):"  High school or whatever applies
1.17) Employer/School: Completely fill out or write "N/A" if retired or unemployed
1.18) Home address: Completely fill out your home address, minus zip code 
1.19) Zip Code: Zip code of your home address
1.20) Home/Mobile Number: Either or both
1.21) Email address: Only use one
1.22) Marital Status: Self-explanatory
1.23) Major family members: Any relative traveling with you to China
1.24) Emergency Contact: First person you want contacted if there are any problems
1.25) Country or Territory where the applicant is located when applying for this visa: Usually "USA"

2.1) Major purpose of your visit: Other - Adoption
2.2) Intended number of entries: Multi-entry valid for 1 year (the standard given for adoption visas)
2.3) Are you applying for express service? "Yes" would be overnight service. "No" is regular 5 day processing.
2.4) Expected date of your first entry into China on this trip: The earliest possible date you think you may be leaving for China. This is not written in stone.  They know you are just guessing.  MAKE SURE IT IS WRITTEN YYYY-MM-DD!!
2.5) Longest intended stay: 30 days - I know you probably won't be staying for 30 days, but what if you or the child gets sick?  Better safe than sorry.
2.6) Itinerary in China: Please fill in name and address of your hotel(s) and phone number(s) during the visit in China in chronological order.  They are now requiring this info, so get it from your agency. Unless Guangzhou is the only place you are staying, one hotel from Guangzhou listed in this section is not acceptable.
2.7) Who will pay for your travel?: Please fill in who will pay for your cost of traveling and living during your stay in China. 
2.8) Information of your inviter or contact unit in China. For adoption, it's:
PHONE: 010-655-45199
2.9) If you have ever been granted a China visa? If yes, please specify the date and country in which you were granted the visa. That's the date of the visa, not the date you first entered China.
2.10) Other countries or territories you have visited in the last 12 months: Specify date, name of countries or territories and purpose of the visits. 

3.1) Have you ever overstayed your visa or residence permit in China? Select “Yes” if applicable. Otherwise, please select “No”. 
3.2) Have you ever been refused a visa for China, or been refused entry into China? Select “Yes” if applicable. Otherwise, please select “No”.
3.3) Do you have any criminal record in China or any other country? Select “Yes” if applicable. Otherwise, please select “No”.
3.4) Are you experiencing any of the following conditions? Select “Yes” if applicable. Otherwise, please select “No”.
3.5) Did you visit countries or territories infected by infectious diseases in the last 30 days? Select “Yes” if applicable. Otherwise, please select “No”.
3.6) If you select “Yes” to any questions from 3.1 - 3.5, please give details. Please contact me first before you answer "yes" to any of these.
3.7) If you have more information about your visa application other than the above to declare, please give details. Or type on a separate sheet of paper.
3.8) If someone else travels and shares the same passport with the applicant, please affix their photos and give their information below:  Please type "N/A" after "Full name" if you hold a USA passport. American passports do not allow anyone to travel on anyone else's passports.

4.1) Please read closely and understand all the questions on this application form, and be fully responsible for the answers and the photo. 
4.2) Please confirm that you understand that whether to issue a visa, type of visa, numbers of entries, validity and duration of each stay will be decided by consular officers, and any false, misleading or incomplete statement may result in the refusal of a visa for or denial of entry into China. 
4.3) Please understand that even if you are granted a visa, you may be refused entry into China. If you agree, please sign and fill in the date (make sure the date is in the correct format.) Please note: ALL applicants MUST sign except minors less than 18 years whose parent or guardian may sign on behalf of him or her. If your child is old enough to sign his/her passport, they are old enough to sign this form. 

If this application form is completed by another person on the applicant’s behalf, please have that person complete section 5. 

5.1) Name: Please fill in the name of the person who completed the application form. 
5.2) Relationship: Please fill in the relationship to the applicant of that person who completes this application form. 
5.3) Address: Please fill in the address of that person who completes this application form. 
5.4) Phone number: Please fill in the phone number of that person who completes this application form. 
5.5) Declaration: Please sign and date - in the date format required
If this section is not applicable, put N/A in 5.1 and leave the signature line for this section blank.

**If you are a member of the press you must include a letter explaining that you are going to China to adopt your child.  You are not going to write a story, or take photos that will be published for a story.  If you are working or go to school at any place to do with religion, you have to write a letter promising not to proselytize.  Clergy is often rejected, so call us first for suggestions on what to write in your letter. If you've ever committed a crime and you're going to put it on your visa application, please talk to us first.**

Please call or email if you have any other questions.  My number is 540-659-6845 and I'm available M-F from 9 AM-4 PM EST.

Thank you for choosing our service!