The Assistant Stork is an Adoptive-Mommy & Daddy owned and operated adoption courier and paperwork facilitation service. We started our adoption journey in October of 1995, and we realize how complicated and nerve-racking the dossier preparation process can be. With so many different terms and rules for the authentication process, it's easy to get frustrated. We started this service in March 1996 to help other parents get through the dossier authentication process as painlessly as possible.
For your fee, we look over the documents as soon as we receive them and check them for accuracy. If there are any problems with your documents, we let you know immediately. We take your documents to the State Department as soon as possible after we receive them. (The State Department is only open 8AM - 9AM and the mail comes in too late for us to take them through the same day we get them.) At the State Department, we must drop off your documents and they will give us a receipt with the date we are allowed to pick them back up. This can take 3-5 business days, depending on their workload.
As soon as that's finished, we send the completed documents, along with your receipts, back to you. If you wish your documents to be forwarded to your agency, please include a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) for us to send your receipts back to you.
The State Department will only let a person take through 15 documents per day. If you have more than 15 documents, we have to make two trips. So that'll take an extra day and we will have to divide your documents. Please write one check to the US Dept of State for the first 15 ($120) and another check for whatever is left over those 15.
Please use the service of your choice (i.e. FedEx/ExpressMail/UPS) to mail your documents to:
The Assistant Stork
2144 Aquia Drive
Stafford, VA 22554
Our phone number is: 540-659-6845
Please be sure to sign the "waiver of signature" on your package if you send your documents via ExpressMail. We are in DC processing dossiers when the mail carrier arrives. There is a special place the mail carrier leaves the dossiers that only he or she can see from our door, not visible to the street. This is not necessary with UPS or FedEx, but please do not REQUIRE a signature. Do not bother sending your package any faster than Priority Overnight. We live far enough away from the airport that First Overnight does not get here until long after Steve has left for DC.
Please email us with your tracking number when you send your documents so we'll know to look for them.
1. A check made out to "The Assistant Stork" for $50 for the first document, plus $15 for each additional document.
2. A personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order made out to "U.S. Department of State" for $8 per document. (Two separate checks if more than 15 documents.) We fill out the submission sheet for the US DoS, not you. Please do not include a DS-4194.
3. A prepaid, self addressed FedEx/UPS/ExpressMail (whichever you prefer) envelope for us to send you back your documents. If you choose to send FedEx or UPS, please get an account number. They are free and will save you money. Go to fedex.com, ups.com, or usps.com to create your labels. Do not give us a Priority Mail label to send out your completed documents unless you have created the return mailing label on-line at usps.com. We will not send back anything not trackable. This is for your protection as well as ours.
4. A self addressed, stamped envelope for us to send you back your receipts if your documents are being forwarded by us to your agency
5. A note with phone numbers where I can reach you if there are any problems. Please include the name, contact name and number of your Adoption Agency. If I can't reach you, I can usually reach them.
For more information, please check out our "Courier Service" page on our website: http://www.asststork.com Please call or email if you have any other questions. Our number is 540-659-6845 and we're available M-F from 9AM-4PM EST.