For your fee, we look over the documents as soon as we receive them and check them for accuracy. If there are any problems with your documents, we let you know immediately. We take your documents to the State Department as soon as possible after we receive them. (The State Department is only open 8AM - 9AM and the mail comes in too late for us to take them through the same day we get them.) At the State Department, we wait in line to drop off your documents. They give us a receipt telling us when we can pick them back up. This can take up to 5 days, but usually they process them for us overnight. We check to be sure that they authenticate every single document correctly (after all, they're human beings, they make mistakes too) before we leave the State Department.
As soon as that's finished, we take your documents to the Embassy for Authentication. We leave your documents with the Embassy and they give us a receipt telling us what day to pick them up. We double check your documents when we pick them up from the Embassy and then we send the completed documents, along with your receipts, back to you. If you wish your documents to be forwarded to someone other than your agency, please include a SASE for us to send your receipts back to you.
The State Department will only let a person take through 15 documents per day. If you have more than 15 documents, we have to make more than one trip. For those with more than 15 documents, please write one check to the US Dept of State for the first 15 ($120) and another check for any portion left over, up to the fee for 15 documents. You do not need to write two checks to the Embassy. We will take all your documents to the Embassy together.
Please use the service of your choice (i.e. FedEx/ExpressMail/UPS) to mail your documents to:
The Assistant Stork
2144 Aquia Drive
Stafford, VA 22554
Our phone number is: 540-659-6845
Please be sure to sign the "waiver of signature" on your package if you send your documents via ExpressMail. We are in DC processing dossiers when the mail carrier arrives. There is a special place the mail carrier leaves the dossiers that only he or she can see from our door, not visible to the street. This is not necessary with UPS or FedEx, but please do not REQUIRE a signature. Do not bother sending your package any faster than Priority Overnight. We live far enough away from the airport that First Overnight does not get here until long after Steve has left for DC.
Please email us with your tracking number when you send your documents so we'll know to look for them.
1. A check made out to "The Assistant Stork" for $75 for the first document, $20 for each additional document.
2. A check made out to "U.S. Department of State" for $8 per document. (Two separate checks if more than 15 documents.) - This step is not necessary for Adoption Documents.
3. A company check, money order or cashier's check (they won't accept personal checks) made out to "The Embassy of Vietnam" for $50 per document = 5 business day turnaround. Add $20 per document for two or three day turnaround.
4. A complete copy of your documents (county seal, if applicable, and state seals also)
5. A prepaid, self addressed FedEx/UPS/ExpressMail (whichever you prefer) envelope for us to send you back your documents. If you choose to send FedEx or UPS, please get an account number. They are free and will save you money. Go to fedex.com
, or usps.com
to create your labels. Do not give us a Priority Mail label to send out your completed documents unless you have created the return mailing label on-line at usps.com
. We will not send back anything not trackable. This is for your protection as well as ours.
6. A self addressed, stamped envelope for us to send you back your receipts if your documents are being forwarded by us to anyone other than yourself.
7. A note with phone numbers and email addresses where we can reach you if there are any problems.
Please call or email if you have any other questions. Our number is 540-659-6845 and we're available M-F from 9AM-4PM EST.